The juniors season so far:-
- On the 28th April, we started our season away to Close House and we lost 7- 5.
- We then had a local derby with a strong Northumberland side but on the day we were too strong for them and we won 9 – 3.
- We then had a trip to Hexham who always have a good junior team and they beat us 8 – 4.
- On Sunday 9th June, Morpeth were our visitors and at one stage, it looked like it was going to be 12 nil win, but eventually, it ended with Parklands winning 10 – 2, a great result.
- We have 2 games left at home to Bedlington on 16th June, then the last game away to Westerhope on 30th June. We are currently sitting 2nd in the league.
- So things are looking good for the team and things were looking good on Tuesday 11th June in the Men’s Summer League competition when young Ethan Searle had a hole in one on the 8th hole.
- Can I just remind members that I’m having a fundraising golf day at Parklands Golf Club on Friday, July 12th (see poster published earlier on the website) and the tees are from 12noon to 3.00pm. All money raised will go to Parklands juniors. There are still tees available so come along and support our juniors
Having a random conversation with a random member of the golf club, we touched on the procedure for dropping from the wrong height. Still easily done in the heat of battle, but you must remember to correct the mistake before playing a stroke. Correct the mistake and there is no penalty, play a stroke at the ball and you incur a penalty shot for both matchplay and strokeplay, (assuming it came to rest in the appropriate relief area).
I wonder how many players are signing for the wrong scores?
Congratulation’s to Ethan Searle a junior member playing in Tuesday’s mid-week summer league competition, he achieved a feat most golfers spend their lifetime hoping for. Unfortunately, in his excitement, he forgot to sign his scorecard but it does not detract from his great shot on the 8th. Well done Ethan this may be your first hole in one and hopefully not your last. I am sure all members join your playing partners in congratulating you. Once again, well done.
The management team at Parklands decided to survey its membership via a questionnaire to establish if the company/committee needed to make any changes to its existing structure in order to satisfy and protect its current membership as well as providing opportunities to recruit new members.
The questionnaire was sent to 467 members of which 118 replied. This response was 25% of the membership which was an excellent return rate that has provided us with information to formulate a strategy to support the membership.
Please see the Microsoft Sway presentation of the results.
There is still some confusion amongst members regarding the R&A Model Local Rule E5 – “Alternative to Stroke and Distance”. This is where a ball lost or Out of Bounds can be dropped under a penalty of 2 strokes.
Parklands Golf Club has decided not to adopt this local rule. Please do not use it.
The decision was taken when CONGU decided that “Under the CONGU® Unified Handicapping System scores must not be submitted for handicap adjustment if this local rule is in place.”
Adoption of a local rule which cannot be played in competition play was therefore considered to be confusing and would lead to errors and disqualifications in competition play.
If you go to other clubs to play competitions, you must check their local rules, but I am lead to believe that most clubs have not adopted this option.
You should therefore not attempt to play it in any form of competition play at Parklands.
Sunday 14th April is final date for entry into the Mens singles and pairs knock out competitions. The draw will be made in the Club Room on Sunday Morning 21st April.